The 117th United States Congress recently introduced bipartisan legislation – H.R. 3855 – Accounting STEM Pursuit Act of 2021 – to recognize accounting as part of the STEM programs in schools. Under the Act, the accounting profession will become a part of the science, technology, engineering and mathematics curricula, reinforcing the clear and logical connection between accounting and technology. The bipartisan legislation was introduced by Representatives Haley Stevens (D-MI) and Victoria Spartz (R-IN).
H.R. 3855 would amend title IV of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 by adding “activities to promote the development, implementation, and strengthening of programs to teach accounting, including increasing access to high-quality accounting courses for students through grade 12 who are members of groups that are typically underrepresented in accounting careers” to this act.
This bill will not only bring early exposure to the accounting profession for students in high school and younger, but will also strengthen the pipeline of a talented and diverse workforce – one that is needed to compete in a profession that continues to evolve. “The Accounting STEM Pursuit Act not only bolsters the connection between accounting and STEM, but also reinforces the joint NASBA/AICPA initiative that is leading the charge to adapt and advance the skill-set accountants need to compete in the current practice environment,” said Ken L. Bishop, NASBA President and CEO.
As the profession continues to advance its use of technology to serve the public interest, and with the recently released curriculum, early exposure to the accounting profession will not only help prepare the next generation of CPAs, but will make it much easier for the profession to connect to students in a way that was not before possible.
- MEMBER CENTER
- Products & Services
- Communications & Outreach
- Legislative Support
- PROC Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- Board Member Portal
- Board Gateway Access
- Executive Director Portal
- CPA Exam Credit Extension
- Continuous Testing Overview and Status Map
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services