A CPA license is the accounting profession’s highest standard of competence, a symbol of achievement and assurance of quality. Whether you are licensed or soon-to-be licensed, NASBA provides information and resources you need to earn and maintain the respected CPA credential.
What is a CPA?
A CPA is a certified public accountant who is licensed by a state board of accountancy.
To earn the prestige associated with the CPA license, you are required to demonstrate knowledge and competence by meeting high educational standards, passing the CPA exam and completing a specific amount of general accounting experience.
The two most important aspects of becoming a CPA are passing the Uniform CPA Exam and meeting licensing requirements in the state where you want to practice.
Why Get Licensed?
Just as a law license defines a lawyer, the CPA license tells the public that an accountant has mastered the critical elements of the profession.
How to Get Licensed?
Whether you need to obtain your initial CPA license or are a licensed CPA needing to practice in a new location, we've outlined the steps you need to take.
Every accounting firm in the United States must register with the board of accountancy in the state where its professionals practice.
- MEMBER CENTER
- Communications & Outreach
- Board Member Portal
- Products & Services
- Legislative Support
- Board Gateway Access
- PROC Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- Executive Directors Site
- Meetings & Events
- CPA Exam Credit Extension
- NTS Extensions
- Continuous Testing Overview and Status Map
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services