Author: Dina Barabash, Content Development and Web Specialist
As we make our way through “busy season,” many CPAs and professionals may be experiencing higher stress levels. Demanding workloads and tight deadlines can be a recipe for disaster – but they don’t have to be. Instead of counteracting your stress with poor diet and too much caffeine, focus on healthier alternatives. Below, are a few ways that can help anyone curb their stress in the workplace.
1. Don’t Forget to Stretch. If you are feeling overwhelmed, it may be beneficial to take a quick walk around your office. Giving your body the opportunity to stretch and move around, even in short increments, has been shown to boost your energy level while reducing feelings of anxiety and tension.
2. Get Plenty of Sleep. A key to starting your day off right, is to get plenty of sleep. Studies show that sleep deprivation can alter mood, affect memory and cause weight gain – all of which can contribute to additional stress. If possible, aim for the recommended 8 hours of sleep a night, and avoid the screen’s glare on electronics about 30 minutes to an hour before bed.
3. Organize Your Workspace. A great way to eliminate some of the most predominant stressors in your day, may be to organize your desk and workspace. Consider investing in organizational boxes and trays for miscellaneous paperwork and a categorized filing cabinet for your archived documents. For additional tips and ideas on how to stay organized in the workplace, click here.
4. Have a Great Support System. Some common effects of stress include feelings of irritability, depression, agitation and low self-esteem. To offset these symptoms, be sure to lean on your support system, whether that is your family, friends, neighbors or colleagues. When determining who to confide in, consider individuals who are currently in a healthy and positive emotional state. And do not underestimate the power of your support system, as studies show receiving continual outside support extends your lifespan and can improve your health and wellbeing.
- MEMBER CENTER
- Board Member Portal
- Member Products & Services
- Meetings & Events
- Legislative Support
- Board Gateway Access
- PROC Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- ED Login