PTIN Lists Now Available Online
In the past, NASBA has obtained the current Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) listing from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request each year. In turn, we provided each board with the listing data for its individual state, to support its enforcement efforts. Credentials in the PTIN listings are self-reported, so boards can use the PTIN data to cross-check for unlicensed practitioners holding out as certified public accountants.
Great news! The IRS has now made this information available online at https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/ptin-information-and-the-freedom-of-information-act.
You will find links to files containing PTIN data by jurisdiction, including the 50 U.S. states, District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, and International locations. There is also a “Consolidated PTIN List” file that contains data from all individual files accessible on the web page. Data is updated twice annually, on March 1 and September 1.
To access the PTIN information:
The Excel files are in CSV format, so you will need to expand the width of some of the columns to make all the data visible.
We hope this direct access to PTIN Listings is helpful. Please consult the IRS PTIN Call Center at 877-613-7846 M-F (8:00am to 5:00pm CST) should you encounter any issues accessing the PTIN data on the IRS Website or have any questions.
- MEMBER CENTER
- Products & Services
- Communications & Outreach
- Legislative Support
- PROC Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- Board Member Portal
- Board Gateway Access
- Executive Director Portal
- CPA Exam Credit Extension
- Continuous Testing Overview and Status Map
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services