Author: Jenna Elkins, NASBA Communications and Digital Media Specialist
There is just about every imaginable “National ________ Day” celebrated, globally, these days. Most likely, the blank can be filled with whatever word you choose, and it will appear in a Google search as a claimed hashtag. For example, did you celebrate #NationalUnicornDay on April 7? How about National Walk Around Things Day, National Lumpy Rug Day or National Step in the Puddle and Splash Your Friends Day? You’re probably asking, “Do these days actually exist?” Yes, yes they do.
While those celebrated days may be a little extreme on the weirdness scale (trying not to offend my lumpy ruggers), we will take it down a few notches and highlight a profession NASBA has close ties with. Any guesses? Today, May 22, is Accounting Day.
I’m pretty sure if I was in a room with a hundred people, maybe one person would be excited about Accounting Day (unless it was a room full of accountants). But, what many people don’t realize is that accounting has a long history, dating back to “ancient accountants” who used clay tokens to keep track of animals and grain. Fast forward to today, much has been accomplished by the accounting profession, and it’s a profession full of talented individuals who are worth celebrating.
Take a minute, today, to phone your CPA/accountant or take him/her out to lunch, and wish them a “Happy Accounting Day.” After all, who else has the skills, knowledge and desire to turn messy accounts and books into beautiful balanced numbers? It takes a special person!
In celebration of Accounting Day, check out the below infographic, which contains 10 totally random but interesting facts about accounting. Interested in accounting? Find out what it takes to become a CPA!
- MEMBER CENTER
- Products & Services
- Communications & Outreach
- Legislative Support
- Peer Review Overview, Tools & Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- NASBA Nation
- Board Gateway Access
- Executive Director Portal
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services