Author: Rebecca Rodriguez, NASBA Compliance Services Manager
Posted: September 6, 2011

Even though it’s still relatively new to the accounting industry, interstate mobility is changing the way CPAs and accounting firms practice. And to help them make the most of the new freedoms, many individual CPAs and firms are utilizing NASBA’s Accountancy Licensing Library, or ALL, in this new era of providing services across state lines.

That’s simply good business. ALL offers a single-source, comprehensive database of steps, guidelines, information and instructions for CPAs and firms to register their presence in all 55 of NASBA’s member states and territories. ALL’s easy-to-follow procedures also help streamline the initial licensing process for individual CPAs. But what many users may not know is that ALL can help with another important task: relinquishing a license.

Mobility has meant that many CPAs no longer need to keep an active license in a state in order to practice there. But even if the license is no longer needed, there’s more involved than just letting it expire. If you don’t file the proper paperwork to let the board know that you’re voluntarily relinquishing that license, you could face disciplinary action. Without communication from you, the board may assume that you’ve allowed your license to lapse.

To help CPAs stay compliant, we’ve added a step-by-step process for licensing relinquishment for all states to ALL’s collection of content. Like the rest of the information in the ALL resource, this is a quick, easy to follow system to ensure that you meet all board requirements for surrendering the license properly.

ALL can also help you obtain new licenses too, by continuing to feature the instructions and details for applying for individual and reciprocal licenses. This allows you to use the service for the state you’re calling home and those where you no longer need to maintain a full license thanks to mobility.

The distinction between reciprocity and mobility is an important one, which is why NASBA is enhancing ALL in this regard. If your work in a state were likely to be short-term, then the state’s mobility guidelines would likely cover you for the project’s duration. But if you are licensed in one state and plan to relocate to another, then you’ll need a secondary or reciprocal license from that state’s board. Most states, even with mobility, are requesting that CPAs obtain reciprocal licenses if they are making such a permanent move. Either way, if you find yourself with redundant licenses, ALL can help you relinquish them properly.

So whether it’s to let a license go, or to see what steps are needed to obtain a new one, visit ALL at to see how the service can quickly an easily get you through the required paperwork.

For more information about state mobility laws, visit NASBA’s website

Related News