> Back to Colorado Licensing page


I’ve recently passed the Uniform CPA Examination (Exam) and I want to apply for Colorado CPA licensing. How do I proceed?
All the information, requirements and application for licensing is located on our website.

How long is the process?
Please allow up to two weeks from your file completion date (when application, fees and all additional required materials have been received) for your application to be processed. Acknowledgment of receipt of application will be sent to you via email, unless otherwise indicated. This notice is sent only as acknowledgment of receipt of application.

Is there a timeframe in which I must apply for licensure after passing the Exam?
No. However, please refer to Colorado Rules and Regulations for licensing requirements.

Do my Exam credits expire for Colorado?
No. Once you have successfully completed all four sections of the Exam, your scores will not expire.

Will I receive a certificate for passing the Exam for Colorado?
No. Colorado is a one-tier state. Applicants must apply for licensure to be able to use the CPA designation.

I want to take the AICPA Ethics Exam, what should I do?
Please contact the Colorado Society of CPAs to purchase the on-demand version here.

I want to apply for the AICPA membership, what should I do?
AICPA membership is not a requirement for CPA licensure. You must contact the AICPA directly regarding membership.

Can I take the Ethics Exam before I pass the CPA Exam?
Yes. However, it is best to take the AICPA Ethics Exam when you decide to apply for licensing.

Do I need to send verification of my CPA scores if I passed the Exam for Colorado?
No. Verification of your scores will remain on file at NASBA.

I want to apply for the Colorado CPA license, but I sat and passed the Exam in another state other than Colorado. How do I transfer my CPA grades?
You will need to submit the Authorization for Interstate of Exchange of Examination and Licensure Information Form to the State Board where you sat and passed the Exam and/or request online at NASBAstore.org.

Is there a fee associated with the “Authorization of Interstate Exchange” form?
Some states require a fee for verification of your CPA scores and license information. Please check our fee chart to see if your state requires a fee before you send the form to the verifying board of accountancy. NASBAstore.org charges $25 for such verification.

If my application is found deficient or denied, will my information remain on file or will I need to resubmit all of the information?
Yes, your information will remain at NASBA Licensing Services for one year. You will only need to submit a new application form, repayment of the application fee, and the deficient items needed to complete your file. If you re-apply after that time period, you will need to submit all new documents with your application.

If my application is denied or found deficient, will I receive a refund?
No. The fee submitted for licensing is a non-refundable fee.

Where can I find information regarding Colorado CPE requirements for renewal?
The CPE requirements are located on the Colorado Board’s website.

If my file has to be reviewed by the Board, when should I receive notification?
All final decisions are made by the Board. Please allow three to five business days from the Board meeting for official notification.


Do I have to resubmit my transcripts/international evaluation if I sat for the Exam as a Colorado Exam Candidate?
All examination information, including transcripts/international evaluations, is kept on file for one year. If you apply after this time period, you must resubmit educational information.

Will I need to resubmit my transcripts (even if I have already submitted them to CPAES for another state) or international evaluation (evaluated to meet requirements for other state to be determined eligible to sit for the Exam)?
Yes, if you sat and passed the Exam as a candidate in a state other than Colorado, you will need to submit all new education information. We only accept U.S. official transcripts. If you are using an international evaluation to qualify as education, you will need to request your international education/credentials re-evaluated course-by-course by NASBA’s International Evaluation Service, a member of NACES or a member of AICE to meet Colorado Board Rules and requirements.

Should I have my transcripts sent directly to NASBA Licensing Services?
Yes. Unofficial transcripts and/or photocopies are not acceptable.

If I obtained my education from an institution outside the U.S., do I need to submit my original international transcripts?
No. International transcripts are not accepted. All applicants must have a course-by-course international evaluation of their education completed prior to applying for licensure.

Does Colorado accept CA Memberships for meeting educational requirements?
Only members that are recognized as part of the U.S. International Qualifications Appraisal Board (IQAB) MRA agreement are deemed acceptable by the Colorado State Board of Accountancy. Individuals holding recognized designations have qualifying education under Rule 2.6 and must submit qualifying experience.

Can my auditing course cover GAAS versus U.S. GAAS?
No. Only U.S. GAAS is accepted by the Colorado State Board of Accountancy


Is experience earned outside of the U.S. acceptable?
Yes, as long as the experience meets the requirements detailed on the Certificate of Experience Form and under Chapter 4 of the Colorado Rules.

Can experienced earned outside the U.S. be verified by an international designation holder?
Only individuals who hold an active international designation from a country which has entered into a MRA with IQAB may have their experience verified by a holder of a international designation.

Is there a fee associated with the “Verifier’s License Verification” form?
Some states require a fee for the verification of the Verifying CPA’s license. Please check our fee chart to see if a fee is required by the state where the signing supervisor is licensed before sending.

If my verifier is licensed in Colorado, do I need to submit the “Verifier’s License Verification” form?
No. The “Verifier’s License Verification” form is only for verifiers who are licensed outside of Colorado.


How do I provide verification of my active CPA license?
You may submit an online verification. The online verification must have the name, license number, issue date and expiration date listed in order to be accepted. If the online verification does not include the items listed above, you must submit an official request to the board.

> Back to Colorado Licensing page