The following information relates only to California Practice Privilege applications for which CredentialNet offers Individual Substantial Equivalency evaluations as part of the application process. Licensees that intend to provide permanent public accounting services in California must obtain a CPA license in the state of California.
Information about obtaining a California CPA license may be found by visiting the California Board of Accountancy’s website, or calling 916-263-3680.
Individuals with CPA licenses issued in Colorado and the Virgin Islands must adhere to the following:
Licensees in these jurisdictions may qualify for a California Practice Privilege by filing for an Individual Substantial Equivalency evaluation with CredentialNet.
Information regarding substantial equivalency may be found in the California Practice Privilege Handbook on the California Board of Accountancy’s website. If you possess a substantially equivalent license from the California Substantial Equivalency list, you may apply directly to the California Board of Accountancy for a California Practice Privilege.
Individual Substantial Equivalency Evaluation Requirements
The evaluation is the same for reciprocal licensure applicants and practice privilege applicants and is based on requirements outlined in the UAA:
The following fees are applicable to the individual substantial equivalency evaluation only. There may be separate fees required by the state for which you are applying. Contact the state board directly for that information.
Evaluation Fee: $250
Toll Free: 1.866.350.0017
- MEMBER CENTER
- Products & Services
- Communications & Outreach
- Legislative Support
- Peer Review Overview, Tools & Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- NASBA Nation
- Board Gateway Access
- Executive Director Portal
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services