Author: Dina Barabash, Content Development & Web Specialist
CPAverify.org is the public facing version of NASBA’s Accountancy Licensee Database (ALD). The site is a free service that is available to the public so that anyone can quickly determine whether a person or firm is licensed to practice public accounting. The best part is that all this information is in one place, including license issue dates, license status, disciplinary actions and so much more.
In the U.S., CPA licenses are issued at the state level. And while some states have their own license verification databases, not all do. Therefore, a database such as CPAVerify.org is crucial to protect the public. The site allows anyone to search for a CPA by name or license number and will show what a CPA’s current license status is in the state where it was issued. In addition, CPAVerify includes disciplinary details for many states, which will show you if the CPA you are considering has ever had a suspended license or if any other disciplinary action was taken against them by their licensing body.
So, who uses CPAVerify? Sydney Shearer, MPS, Senior Manager, Accountancy Licensee Database (ALD) & Accountancy Licensing Library (ALL), says that this national database is utilized by employers, background check companies, individuals, CPA firms and organizations such as the IRS and Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) for up-to-date access to CPA records across multiple jurisdictions. According to Shearer, NASBA currently has 54 out of the 55 Boards of Accountancy participating in ALD and CPAverify.org, and the association continues to work with boards to enhance the data that they send to populate the site.
A few of CPAverify’s benefits include:
• Giving the public confidence when hiring CPAs for personal or business purposes
• Making it easier and quicker for hiring managers to verify pre-hire credentials
• Assisting accounting firms in tracking their employee’s license renewal dates
• Protecting the public by linking a CPA’s license history across state lines
The past year has been a very difficult time for most people, and their financial situation may have varied significantly from the previous year. Therefore, during this tax season, it’s important to make sure that you verify the credentials of the tax professional you choose for yourself or for your business. This year, feel confident in your choice of CPA with CPAVerify.
- MEMBER CENTER
- Products & Services
- Communications & Outreach
- Legislative Support
- Peer Review Overview, Tools & Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- NASBA Nation
- Board Gateway Access
- Executive Director Portal
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services