State Board Report
February 2, 2016 is the deadline for submitting comments on the proposed changes to Uniform Accountancy Act Section 6(d) and Model Rule 6-7 that would enable qualified professionals to refer to themselves as "Retired-CPA" with appropriate registration with their State Board.
This would enable CPAs who are at least age 55 and who no longer meet their state’s standard CPE requirement to perform activities that others in the "Inactive-CPA" category could not, including offering volunteer tax preparation services if competent, participating in government-sponsored business mentoring programs if competent, and serving on the board of a non-profit organization if competent. All of these activities would be uncompensated and can currently be offered by non CPAs. Retired-CPAs would be required to affirm to their State Board of Accountancy that they: (1) understand the scope of limitations on what services they offer; (2) agree not to use their Retired CPA status in any way which could be misleading; and (3) maintain professional competence, without a specific CPE requirement, when offering any of the permitted volunteer services.
"The AICPA/NASBA Uniform Accountancy Act Committee has debated this issue for over two years and we believe the proposed changes will enable all Boards of Accountancy to come to a uniform definition of this group of professionals," NASBA UAA Committee Chair J. Coalter Baker (TX) stated. "States have come up with varying policies to recognize Retired-CPAs and we are aiming to set guidance that will do away with inconsistencies in expectations and treatment of this class of CPAs."
State Boards are asked to send their comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MEMBER CENTER
- Board Member Portal
- Member Products & Services
- Legislative Support
- Board Gateway Access
- PROC Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- ED Login
- Meetings & Events
- CPA Exam Credit Extension
- NTS Extensions
- Continuous Testing Overview and Status Map
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services