State Board Report
The Securities and Exchange Commission summarized the enforcement actions it took from April 2009 through mid-December 2011 addressing misconduct that led to, or arose from, the financial crisis. These involved 87 individuals or entities charged, including 45 senior corporate officers. Twenty-five received officer and director bars, industry bars or SEC suspensions. The cases resulted in penalties of over $1.2 billion, and disgorgement and prejudgment interest ordered of over $393 million. Additional monetary relief obtained for harmed investors was $355 million through settlements with Evergreen, J.P. Morgan, State Street and TD Ameritrade.
Included in the SEC summary were:
Concealed from investors risks, terms, and improper pricing in CDOs and other complex structure products: Citigroup; Goldman Sachs; ICP Asset Management; J.P. Morgan Securities; Stifel, Nicolaus & Co.; RBC Capital Markets; and Machovia Capital Markets.
Made misleading disclosures to investors about mortgage-related risks and exposure: American Home Mortgage; Citigroup; Countrywide; Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac; IndyMac Bancorp; and New Century.
Concealed the extent of risky mortgage-related and other investments in mutual funds and other financial products: Charles Schwab; Evergreen; Morgan Keegan; Reserve Fund; State Street; and TD Ameritrade.
Others: Bank of America; Brooke Corporation; Brookstreet; Colonial Bank and Taylor, Ben & Whitaker (TBW); and UCBH Holdings Inc.
- MEMBER CENTER
- Board Member Portal
- Member Products & Services
- Legislative Support
- Board Gateway Access
- PROC Resources
- Enforcement Tools
- NASBA Awards
- ED Login
- Meetings & Events
- CPA Exam Credit Extension
- NTS Extensions
- Continuous Testing Overview and Status Map
- CPA Exam
- International Qualification Examination (IQEX)
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos (IMCP)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- CPA Canada (CPAC)
- NASBA International Evaluation Services
- Exam News
- Products and Services